Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Reflections on Puppy Ownership


I have had cats all my life. Mercedes has been with me since I was nine-years old, so I am good at raising cats (if I do say so myself). So this new experience … this puppy experience … is confusing me.

A cat owner’s initial observations about her first puppy:
1. Puppies follow you everywhere. They are not as curious about the world around them as kittens are, they are just interested in you.
2. Puppies are not predictable. I guess I thought Hollis would show up trained because everyone tells me that Border Collies are soooo smart. He’s still consumed with his own tail and his denta-bone. He is no baby genius.
3. Kittens stalk bugs. They catch them and play with the poor little bugs just to torment them. When Hollis catches a bug, he eats it. Whole. "Gulp." Ewwww ...
4. Litter boxes are annoying, but puppie poo stinks much, much more potently than kitten poo.
5. Puppies are not as agile as kittens – I had Hollis following a piece of yarn I was spinning around in circles and he threw-up. Kittens would love that game! Spinning does not make kittens nauseous.


Even though these are initial challenges and surprises, he's still a delight. I am learning so much!

6 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger hoolia goolia said...

Wow! He is so entirely adorable and teeny!

It is indeed a difficult transition from cat-parent to dog-parent. Their ways are not the same...but Hollis will always be excited when you come home in a way that no kitty ever could!

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that post!! :-) We should get Hollis and Willow together for a puppy/kitten play-date. She'll stalk the bugs for Hollis to eat and they can have a Stinky Poo competition.

ellie

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for puppies! Hollis will give you loyalty like no other thing will (except for Ryan of course!). He will think you are the greatest thing in his little world and sense when you're happy, sad, or any kind of emotion and respond in a way that will surprise you. Enjoy his puppyhood he will be HUGE before you know it!

Koda and Hollis need to be friends! Bring him to Dallas, they can play :)

KT

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow, my skin.

-Husbanks

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Becky, Phil and Hayden said...

I can't believe you got a dog! I never thought I'd see the day....

How did you guys come up with the name?

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Puppies are *such* hard work, but enjoy it because it is such an adorable time. I remember thinking, "just tough it out, it'll get better when she's 1." and it did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home