Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Street Cred Challenge!

Turns out a gold tooth isn’t enough to get you street cred.

Emilie from H-town has challenged me to prove my street cred by defining a “street” term to the best of my ability. Since I don’t know any street terms, I am going to have to deduce from my own life experiences. I have to deduce from Oklahoma, Swiss and Baylor experiences – the most gangsta places in the world!!

Challenge: Define “ghost riding the whip”

In PR, when you are “ghost writing,” you are writing an article for another person in the company. For example, if a publication needs an article from your CEO, often, PR professionals will “ghost write” or "draft" the article and publish it under the CEO’s name. The CEO has many demands on their time, so they need help from someone to write the first draft.

Emilie spilled the beans on “whip.” I know it means “pimped out car.” I would have never guessed that, so I am glad I have a clue.

So, “ghost riding the whip” must mean chauffeuring the CEO of your gang, or your “gang leader.” Since the gang leader has worked his or her way up in the gang, and they need time for dealing and as Chamillionaire says, “findin’ a chick I wanna bone,” they do not have time to drive.

That is my submission, Emilie! I hope I am right. If not, the black crusaders may be after me ...

5 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Emilie said...

Wikipedia states:
"To ghost ride, frequently used in the context of "ghost riding the whip" (a "whip" being a vehicle) or simply ghostin',is when a person puts the car in neutral or allows it to idle and then the driver (and passengers) of a vehicle exit while it is still rolling and dance beside it or on the hood or roof.

Ghost riding is one of the latest trends to be popularized by hyphy culture, which originated in Oakland, California. The term "ghost ride the whip" was given nationwide exposure in E-40's 2006 song "Tell Me When to Go".

Oakland rapper Mistah F.A.B. further popularized the term with his hit song "Ghost Ride It", which held playtime on radio and television stations throughout the United States. The video became a subject of much criticism due to its directions on how to ghost ride, as well as its use of the Ghostbusters' car without the express approval from Viacom.

As with car surfing, ghost riding can be dangerous and has resulted in three known deaths in North America."


and here's my favorite part:
"Ghost riding is also known as "going Patrick Swayze," or just "going Swayze," referring to Patrick Swayze's lead role in the movie Ghost."

So as you can see, Hilary, this somewhat varies from your hypothetical, "driving-Miss-Daisy-who-likes-to-bone-chicks" definition of the phrase. If you're still not clear on it's meaning, I suggest you check out the videos. They are, as you might say, "boiling."

YouTube Video: Ghost Ride the Whip

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger A Spirited Mom said...

If I knew the alternate slang "going Swazye," I would have nailed it!

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man oh man. I have no words for my feelings regarding "ghost riding the whip". Dammit. I have absolutely no understanding of hip-hop culture. I can’t imagine what I would do if there I was, all stopped at a stop light and stuff, and some dude rolled by “ghost ridding the whip.” I might actually defecate in my pants. And people have actually died doing this…

“How’d you die?”
“I got ran over by my own car.”
“How’d you get run over by your own car?”
“Well, I was listing to Chingy’s new joint…”

-Husbanks

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Deirdre Walsh said...

i think we should do a vw vs. volvo ghost riding the whip challenge. husbanks vs. hildo.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We called that a Chinese firedrill back in my day. And yeah, the Swayze reference would have totally given the meaning away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home