Monday, April 16, 2007

Catch 22!




Today’s post is in honor of my good friend Morgan! Today is her 22nd birthday!

Morgan and I have a lot in common, but what truly brought us together is our love of fresh produce. We often buy apples for each other to taste. We have a rating scale:

yuck!
pretty gross
edible, but not ideal
meh
tastes like an apple
this is a good apple
this is a very good apple
honeycrisp

Are you looking for a new apple to try? Here are some recent apple critiques, communicated between Morgan and me via e-mail:

Winesap: by Morgan, Food Editor
Unbelievably tough skin
Suspiciously white on the inside
Very juicy
Mild taste - on the tart side
The tough skin must be protecting the soft-ish, more mealy inside, as it cannot withstand much pressure on its own.

Overall rating: meh

Pacific Rose: by Hilary, Other Food Editor
Good consistency.
Juicy, yet crunchy at first.
Sweet, but lacking in other flavors

Overall rating: This is a good apple.

Morgan, this image of apple-shaped birthday candles is for you. May your birthday be as crisp, flavorful, and delicious as a honeycrisp.

8 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Morgan said...

Thank you Hilary!

Today, courtesy of Hilary, I will be snacking on a Pink Lady apple. It looks like it will be crunchy (a very important quality). In an advertising research class in college, we had to go to a grocery store and watch how people buy a particular item (do they look at the price? compare nutrition? notice weight or color?) I went to Central Market to see how people buy apples. Sandra Bullock happened to be there, she bought Pink Lady apples and she sniffed them first. If our Sandy can save herself from a speeding bus, I trust that she can also pick a good apple.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Happy birthday Morgan.

May your birthday be far from Yuck!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

Happy Birthday, Morgan! I don't know you, but 22 is a fantastical year. Enjoy it. :-)

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more on the Honeycrisp thing. I regularly *make* people try them because they're quite possibly the most perfect thing to come out of nature. I miss you Honeycrisp season!

P.S. Also, try Cara Cara oranges. Not to Honeycrisp level, but an adequate replacement.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

Good to know about the oranges. One day, we will exhaust the apples of the world and have to move on to something else...I suggested cheese; however, with as many apples as we eat, Hilary suggested that our jeans may be in trouble is we switched to cheese. Jeans "with stretch" can only stretch so far...

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Suz said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MORGAN!
I don't know you either, except as a fellow commenter on HilStreet:)

I've always been partial to Fuji apples and satsuma oranges (best bought from a roadside truck in New Orleans).

If you'd like a wide selection of apples then I recommend the Co-op in Hanover, NH. They had more than 30 varieties. I sampled them all at one point because, well, there isn't a lot to do when you live in VT. I'm also well versed in Maple Syrup and how long you can have your skin exposed before suffering from frost bite at various sub-zero temperatures. Very useful knowledge now that I live in AZ:)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was on the cheese kick for awhile. Unfortunately, I'm on the weight watchers kick right now because of it. Apples are fun and Washington State thanks you for it!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

PInk lady apples are my favorite! Enjoy and I hope you had a good birthday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home