Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Overdrawn!


I am mad at my bank.

My bank will be referred to by a code name to protect its identity. The code name is: “Deep Holes Filled with Water - Movie with Funny Minnesotan Accents” Bank.

I was overdrawn last week on my personal “fun stuff” checking account (that’s the account I don’t share with my husband. It goes to pedicures, sushi, wine, haircuts, yoga, makeup, lattes and other bits of general merriment.) So, I was overdrawn for two days before I checked my account. When I saw the overdraft charges online I was like, “eeeek!” So I transferred some money, called Ellie to complain about my stupidness, talked to Morgan about how I had to forgo date night due to my folly, then ate a bunch of cheese puffs.

I had let it go. It was my mistake. I let it go until I got a letter on Saturday.

The letter was from my bank, “Deep Holes Filled with Water - Movie with funny accents.” The letter (LETTER) said: “please deposit funds to cover the overdrawn items immediately.”

Immediately. Immediately? IMMEDIATELY?

By immediately, you mean enough time to put my name on this letter, type out how much is overdrawn, print the letter out, go to the printer, trifold the letter, place the letter in an envelope, find a watery sponge to release the envelope sealant, close the envelope, run the envelope through the meter and have it sit in the mailbox to be delivered to me four days later.

Sounds immediate to me!

I had conceded to my mistake. I thought, “You got me! This is how you make money on free checking – from overdraft fees.” So I was OK with it until I get this letter where “Deep Holes Filled with Water - Movie with Funny Minnesotan Accents” Bank pretends to have my best interest in mind. They could have gotten to me sooner if they really cared …

“Deep Holes Filled with Water - Movie with Funny Minnesotan Accents” Bank could have e-mailed me! I have online banking. I have e-mail. I know they have my e-mail address because they e-mail me a couple times a week asking if I am interested in a credit card, refinancing or a home loan.

Or, “Deep Holes Filled with Water - Movie with Funny Minnesotan Accents” Bank could call me! I know they have my number because they have some fresh-out-of-school bozo named Veronica calling our house once a week asking if we want financial planning.

They have ways of getting in touch with me in a timely manner. When an overdraft fee going straight to the bank’s pocket is in question – they should not make it so obvious!

I feel like I’ve been Punked!

8 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

Uh oh...You're bank is the same one we're using for our mortgage! I wonder if they will send me important notices by smoke signal, telling me I need to take IMMEDIATE action.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger A Spirited Mom said...

Will, does that smoke signal mean our mortgage is late or it's time to consider an IRA account? I don't remember ...

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

Will, can you go open the window to let the pigeon inside so we can see what the bank has written on the scroll in the pigeon's mouth?

Oh, free balance transfers on credit cards. Huh.

Actually, I'm not sure if there are pigeons in Kentucky.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Good stuff, darling. One of your best posts yet. World, look at when my wife is upset. Bank that shall-not-be-named, you are on her list!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Suz said...

It took "Bank of the Country We Live in" 3 weeks to send me a Check Card after my wallet was stolen. I called after the requisite 10 days, they still claimed it was in the mail (but why hadn't I received my PIN either? It's mailed seperately) but 'rushed' a new card...that would take another 10 days. I'm still not sure how that was a 'rush' order.

Now I find out that in order to get anything done at a local branch I have to reopen a new account in AZ since the original account is in WA. I'll open a new account...just at a new bank!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm all about the credit unions ladies. Seriously, I recommend them to anyone. You pay no fees AND get interest on all your accounts.

EDIT: You pay fees if you overdraw of course.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hil, I have to say, you have a high number of readers. Either that or all your readers comment. You're catching on like wild fire!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger A Spirited Mom said...

Wild fire ... smoke signals. Thanks for bringing this round of posts full circle, Weslie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home