Friday, July 06, 2007

An Open Letter to Ben Folds!

Dear Ben,

I have been a loyal Ben Folds enthusiast for nine years. I remember being a senior in high school, listening to “The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner” in my car with Travis. I then realized that your sweet piano tunes spoke to my soul. I remained a fan even after I heard “Hospital Room.” I listened on.

I remember hearing “Magic” for the first time. It was so beautiful that I turned my radio WAY UP, and the loud timpani almost made me lose my hearing. I remained a fan. I listened on.

When you went out on your own – I didn’t leave you. Even though I really missed Darren Jesse, I listened on.

I remember being 21, jamming to “Rockin’ the Suburbs” with Joe in the practice rooms at McCrary Music Hall. I remember going on my second date with my now husband to see you at the Red Jacket (Matt was there too). I remember endless conversations about you in Penland Dining Hall with Brian, Joe and Matt (another Matt). I reserved a spot on your cruise to ask you in person, "Is Eddie Walker dead?"

Today, Ryan received an e-mail with the subject line: Ben Folds Experience important update! "Ooh – that sounds fun," I thought. I open the e-mail and it says you canceled the CRUISE? You canceled due to scheduling difficulties with other artists? This is one of many ways you have betrayed me, Ben. But, I will remain a fan.

I will listen on.

I have an idea. I have been in PR for four years and I have scheduled and promoted many an event. You should hire me to RESCHEDULE THE CRUISE.

Call me. My number is 867-530-BENN.

Your friend,
Hilary
Ben Folds PR Manager

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Suz said...

It seems like they should have finalized the whole list of who was playing BEFORE inviting legions of fans on a musical vacation experience.

Not Cool, Mr. Folds.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a letdown! I am so sorry!!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

That's one heck of a letter, Hil. If Ben googles himeself, comes across your blog and reads that, I really think you'd get a personal response. Seriously!

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the worst email news I have ever had to forward. Maybe if I had just forwarded that last one, the one with the cute poem about how kittens really can make your life better, I would not have brought this darkness upon our household.

Forward this to at least three people and win a chance to go on a cruise with a brand new Dell computer.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Sammers said...

I WAS really sorry about the cruise, guys, but since you now have me singing "8-6-7 5-3-0-Bennnnn" in my head, I'm feeling a tad less sympathetic to your plight.

Nah, I'm still sad you can't go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home