Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Prison Musical Theatre!

Here's a fun tidbit about Hil you probably don't know. During the summer of '03, I sang and danced musical theater for prisoners inside an Austrian Prison. Crazy huh?

Our college musical group went to Graz, Austria every other year to be a part of AIMS (American Institute of Musical Studies). We’d perform gigs all over Austria – but usually the gigs would be in banquet halls, outdoor venues or castles. One gig was in an Austrian prison.

Why am I telling you this? Because of this You Tube video. I can’t decide about this video. Is it insightful? Impressive? A cultural lesson? Humorous? Surprising? Interesting?

Watch 1,500 Philippino inmates perform Michael Jackson’s Thriller.

5 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After sleeping on it, I have decided this video sucks.

That whole do-the-Triller-dance thing was played out after "13 going on 30".

Husbanks

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Husbanks, you are brave to admit you've seen "13 going on 30" :)

I think it's impressive. Look at the choreography! There are several hundred inmates participating!

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was wondering if that was going to bite me in the a$$.

What can I say? I have a man-crush on Mark Rufio (SP?).

-Husbanks

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to take away from the coolness of this videa, and I hate to be that guy, but doesn't anyone question the authenticity of this? First, the jumpsuits say "Inmate" in English on them, is that not weird? And second, why on earth would anyone spend the time to teach 1,500 criminals this dance?

My guess is this is a staged event for something like a B movie or something. But its still cool - the Thriller dance can NEVER be played out...

EThrons

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger A Spirited Mom said...

Oh Eric - you don't hate to be that guy! You embrace it!

Inmate in english is a good clue - I now agree this is fake! Ryan thinks it was done with computers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home