Monday, April 02, 2007

Hil Street Book Review!


I am in a book club here in Austin comprised of a few very interesting young women in a variety of careers. We meet once a month and try to vary the book selections between classic and contemporary novels. We meet on Sundays over dinner or snacks and spend about half the time talking about life, and half the time talking about books.

Yesterday we met to discuss the Patricia Marx novel, Him Her Him Again The End of Him. Reviews among the four of us were mixed. One loved it, one hated it, and two of us were in the middle.

The book was funny, but I would not recommend it to any of my friends. Spend 280 pages worth of time doing something else. The attention to detail in the novel was uneven. The first two chapters were very detail oriented, then … the end was summed up very quickly. Marx is a former SNL writer, so this would have been a great short story ... just a little thin to be a full-on book.

So, don’t read it, but if you want to, you can borrow it from me because I sure as heck will not read it again.

2 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Suz said...

How did you get involved in the book club? That sounds like a fun hobby!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger A Spirited Mom said...

I started this bookclub when I first moved to Austin - I didn't have any friends, so a girl I worked with suggested I join her book club! She hasn't come to book club for about a year - but I am still in it! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home